Friday, February 1, 2013

Diigo and Social Networking

So after suffering for days with some creepy stomach virus thing, I finally got around to tackling this assignment.  I must admit though, I was confused at first but I think I finally figured it out.  My Diigo is slowly but surely coming along.  I'm really interested in anything relating to Education or Reading and for giggles, I created a list for my grandson Caden.  It will be so much easier to just go to my site and find the preschool games he likes.  But now I will also have the task of putting those hundred or so 'bookmarks' in my library, sounds like fun!
Diigo is basically a social networking tool that allows users to collaborate and interact with each other - in a virtual community - by way of highlighting, commenting, or bookmarking various collections of online materials.  Lists and tags are created so that your collection (or library) is organized for fast and easy access and it allows everyone in your groups to see what you're interested in, what you're commenting on, or what you're sharing with others.  It is a research tool that allows you to actually highlight and store information (it keeps it for you--no need to bookmark) for later use, and it allows you to share your knowledge with others and vice-versa

The article written by Ferriter was so informative and true, kids today are so engrossed in technology that the simple task of reading is extremely boring to them.  This program is a great asset in the classroom and would definitely get everyone involved, not only with reading, but with discussion, analyzing, and commenting on what they think.  It's important to remember that whether a student is a kindergartner or in college, higher levels of thinking, analyzing and drawing conclusions is so important to their ability to comprehend and understand the meaning of what their reading.

All of the NETS-T standards fall under this technology, but I feel that the most important one 3-Modeling Digital Age Work and Learning by facilitating an effective use of current and emerging digital tools to locate, analyze, evaluate, and use information resources to support research and learning.

I can see myself using this in my classroom daily, I won't have to remember where a site was, I just have to highlight, tag it and it's in my library--EASY.  I could even set up a classroom Diigo account that will provide my students with specific information or data that I would want them to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment