Monday, January 28, 2013

Resume Revision

So today, I got to play around with attempting to make myself look better on paper ... and it worked!  I just want to know how long this resume aid has been out there, because I obviously needed improvement based on my first score (see below).
I definitely needed to fix this--my percentile was only 53 and so I took to heart the little 'tips' they gave me:  1) Your resume is too short. 2) Remove your objective section; try a professional headline instead.  Which only added fuel to the fire because I initially had a professional headline when I first received my BS and began applying for teaching positions.  After a few months, I met with someone in Career Services to go over my interviewing skills and my resume, which resulted in the above product.   Now my Picassohead would be Angry-ala-Cherie--haha!

But seriously, I went back and spent a good hour on my resume, focusing on the percentile, the two subcategories; Brevity and Impact (because my Depth was on target) and the Industry, which had me neck-in-neck with Non-profit and Education.  The result of all my hard work paid off--just take a peek below:

Now granted, it isn't an 'A', which would really, really make me happy, but it is doable.  I raised my percentile to 72; replaced my objective with a professional headline; and filled my resume with specific details.  Now my top industry is Education, where it should be.  The only tip I received this time was to ' Sell yourself more persuasively.'  Which, technically, I can't.  I've only been working part-time as an Intervention Teacher and I feel that I need more time in the classroom to accomplish that.  I've learned that short is not always better when it comes to a resume and that you should always go with your gut feeling--always.  So I'm excited to go back and replace my old, boring resume with this revised work of art in all my application files and see what, if anything, happens.

This assignment falls within ISTE.NETS-T Standards 3 and 5; demonstrating, collaborating, communicating, and modeling current digital age media, formats, and resources and engaging in professional growth and development.

No comments:

Post a Comment