Tuesday, January 22, 2013

How Millennial Are You?

Well, here I go again--lol.  I'm finding out so many things about myself that I never even thought of before!  So the reasoning behind this mini-quiz http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/how-millennial-are-you/ was to determine what my millennial profile was.  Knowing that this assignment dealt with discovering if I am actually 'in' when it comes to the increased use and familiarity with communication, media, and digital technologies, I did pretty well in scoring a 72--not bad for a old lady who was born in the Baby-Boomer generation but grew up as a Generation Xer.  I contribute this to the mere fact that unlike most adults my age (with children who are Millennial), who are actually working toward retirement, I am just beginning my journey and have more or less, been thrust into the world of technology due to my classes.  So YES!  I feel that I can fit in with technology and all it has to offer and keep up with all the little Bill Gates running around.  I did take the challenge of Professor Pierce and had my son and daughter take the quiz--knowing that they would definitely score higher than their mother.  My daughter (age 19) scored a 98, while my son (age 24) scored a 96.  I contribute the slight difference due to the fact that my son is a father himself, therefore he makes life choices with a child in mind.  My daughter, on the other hand, is on a road to independence--focusing on establishing a career, has a tattoo, and is pretty much self-reliant.

 

I actually had a great time reading over Frand's 10 characteristics because it brought back memories of technology that I thought was so cool when I was young.

1. Computers aren't technology, well I beg to differ there.  As I mentioned in an earlier blog, I've seen computers change drastically since the 80's.  As far as word processing--my goodness!  My typing class in high school consisted of a manual typewriter (no mistakes allowed WITH carbon copies) that actually 'dinged' when you reached the right margin.  Now text wrapping does the job for you.

2. Internet better than TV, this I agree with, so I guess I'm in.  TV is just so boring--same garbage on all the time, although I can't live without my TCM channel (that's right, I really like those old movies).  Other than that, I use the TV to watch Netflix or Vudu.  Without the internet, I would probably have withdrawals.  I can easily look up businesses, check email, monitor my grades for my classes, schedule appointments, conduct research, etc.  But as Frand mentioned, it's important to have knowledge of reliable information---just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's right.

3.Reality no longer real, this one is actually scary.  Whether chatting, texting, or emailing, how do we really know who we are conversing with.  I'm sure you've heard of the movie Catfish right?  The guy spent years believing that he was talking over the internet to one girl, when in fact it was someone totally different.  You can not trust the internet, something my kids already know.  My husband loves watching Star Trek:  The Next Generation (he definitely prefers TV over the internet) and really enjoys the episodes that focus on the halo-deck.  Granted, that would be exciting:  to instruct a program to simulate a tropical island and you can spend the day there relaxing, but what fun is that?  Real is better.

4. Doing rather than knowing, unfortunately, I feel this is true.  Just from my experience in trying to find a job after completing my undergrad work:  It didn't matter that I had a teaching license, passed all the required examinations, or raised four children---no 'experience' equaled no job.  In this day and age of advancing technology, if you neglect to keep abreast with what's out there, you will definitely be left behind.

5. Nintendo over logic, I absolutely agree with Frand's last statement here, "A balance is needed between didactic and discovery approaches."  I read the manual, but also apply the trial and error approach.  I'm a visual/tactile learner, therefore, I do best with applying.  The one thing I've learned  with dealing with technology is that you can always hit the reset button.  This way of thinking could and usually does work when working with students, after all, after a lesson I reflect and try to see why my choice of delivery worked or didn't work and to make adjustments as necessary.

6. Multitasking way of life, there is a time and place for multitasking.  Teaching, doing housework, running errands, but not when devoting oneself to personal time, especially with someone else.  I think that sometimes I may be guilty of multitasking too much because I usually end up totally brain-dead trying to remember what I've got going on.   I need improvement on this one.

7. Typing rather than handwriting, granted, I like to type, but I prefer to create by handwriting.  When my kids were younger, they wrote thank you notes every Christmas, Easter and birthday for gifts received.  I hand-write all notes, note cards, lists--you name it, then if needed, type it up.  Before the word processor, my experience with cut/paste consisted of actually cutting out what you wanted moved and taping it in a different place (not kidding!).

8. Staying connected, most important.  I would be lost without my cell phone.  I can lose the internet, even the TV, but not having my cell phone--no way!

9. Zero tolerance for delays, unfortunately for so many people, waiting just doesn't set well.  Information is accessible every minute of every day.  Being ex-military, I tolerate waiting because I had to learn how to (you know the motto, "Hurry up! and Wait......."), and I'll admit, I can become aggravated at times with waiting, but that's just the way things are in a society that is technologically driven.

10. Consumer/creator blurring, as with anything easily copied and accessible, this is one thing I really am careful about.  Citing anything borrowed or used is a must.

So dear classmates, I feel that I can be deemed Millennial, I believe that I'm capable of keeping up with new technology (even if I need the help of a student) and being able to incorporate it into both my personal and professional lives.


2 comments:

  1. I am right there with you on multi-tasking. Sometimes we just need to turn off the multi-tasking and focus on the people we are with, but first we have to hit the power button on the technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. Let's hope that power button on technology lacks a fast forward button, too! It's just crazy how fast things come about isn't it?

    ReplyDelete