Sunday, March 17, 2013

Google Earth

Taking the same map locations from the Google Maps assignment, we were to use Google Earth to show the same points of interest.  The first thing I had to do was download Google Earth.  Next I went back to Google Maps to retrieve my map.  All I had to do was click on "my places" and select the map I needed.  Once I did that, I just had to click on the "KML" button where a window popped up asking me where to save the file--I chose Google Earth.  Simple enough.

Below shows my points of interest for my Civil War tour.














Google Earth provides instructions if you're not familiar with everything it can do.  Keyhole Markup Language (KML) is an extension file that is used save geographical information from one map to another--in this case, from Google Maps to Google Earth.  Google Earth gives us a 3D look whereas Google Maps is in 2D.  It's an exciting way to get a "realistic" view of a location.  I found my son's address in Hawaii and looked up where my other son stayed while deployed in Afghanistan.  Another excellent resource for the classroom!

Just as with the Google Maps, Google Earth fits with the following standards:


Standard 1: Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity by promoting, supporting and modeling creative and innovative thinking and inventiveness; and engaging students in exploring real-world issues and solving authentic problems using digital tools and resources.

Standard 2: Design and Develop Digital Age Learning Experiences and Assessments by designing or adapting relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity; developing technology-enriched learning environments that enable all students to pursue their individual curiosities and become active participants in setting their own educational goals, managing their own learning and assessing their own progress; and customizing and personalizing learning activities to address students' diverse learning styles, working strategies, and abilities using digital tools and resources.
Standard 3: Model Digital Age Work and Learning by demonstrating fluency in technology systems and the transfer of current knowledge to new technologies and situations; and modeling and facilitating effective use of current and emerging digital tools to locate, analyze, evaluate, and use information resources to support research and learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment